Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mary's Grove Cemetery

This afternoon I looked for a driveway or entrance to the cemetery on the north side of Harper Ave. between Hwy 18 and Fairview Dr.  After making several drive by's not seeing anything other than driveways to private homes, I stopped at the, Fairview Presbyterian Church, and spoke with a lovely woman in the church office. I asked her if she knew where, Mary's Grove cemetery was. She shook her head, looked to the ceiling and said, "Why yes I do"! She had to think a minute before telling me how many driveway's from where we were until I turn and climb the hill to the cemetery. She said she hadn't thought about the place for years. In fact she had completely forgot about it.  I shared with her why I was looking for it and the little I know about, Robert Miller. . She was very interested in knowing more and asked me to stop back sometime and let her know what I've learned in my search.



Photo of the entrance to the cemetery. I had to park across the street in the driveway of Mary's Grove, cross Harper Ave on foot and walk several feet to the path to the cemetery.

I walked to the top of the hill and saw 20-25 old tombstones on my left with 5-6 more recent stones to the right.  This photo taken of the oldest stones from the top of the hill looking left.


I first located, Mary wife of Robert J Miller


Not far from Mary's stone I found, Robert J Miller

Information on, Mary's Grove was obtained from the book, "Annals of Caldwell County" by W.W. Scott, Burke County USGW archives, St James Episcopal Church website and local Lenoir/Caldwell County natives.... the foot work/photo's by "moi" relishing every step back in time to, Mary's Grove Plantation.


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Hi:
    I am doing some research on Mary's Grove cemetery in Lenoir. I don't know if you still maintain this blog, but if so, I'd like to chat with you. There was no email address on your page, only this comment section.

    ReplyDelete